Your go-to weekly mask rotation is about to be introduced to a new contender: A DIY Turmeric Face Mask. We’re putting some basic kitchen staples like turmeric, yogurt, and honey to the test to help achieve glowing, healthy skin in minutes. Turmeric is one of the most scientifically studied and backed ingredients in healing our body's inflammation, making it the perfect beauty product to calm acne and brighten discoloration.*
If you ever caught yourself searching for ways to fade acne scars or treat a pimple overnight, chances are you came across turmeric. It’s transformative healing properties make it the perfect solution for turning your kitchen into an at-home spa to help nourish and support your skin.
Our Founder Carolyn started Copina Co. after her years of struggling with hormonal acne – so you can say she knows a thing or two about the best solutions to treating pesky pimples. We encourage you to read more of Carolyn’s story here.
This 3-ingredient DIY Turmeric Face Mask is an easy at-home beauty routine staple that can help you achieve healthy, glowing skin in only just a few uses. It’s become a staple in our beauty routine and we’re sure it will become a part of yours too.
What is Turmeric?
Turmeric, a plant of the ginger family, is an ancient Indian spice historically used in both Indian cooking and Ayurveda medical practices. It's deep and beautiful orange pigment comes from the active ingredient curcumin. Otherwise known as curcuminoids, this compound is packed with antioxidants and minerals that boost our skin health.* These antioxidant properties help regulate sebum, lighten sun spots, and reduce scarring. Its antibacterial properties help treat small cuts and burns and are especially beneficial in treating inflammation in the skin, like acne.*
How to Make a Turmeric Face Mask
- Turmeric Contains antibacterial and antioxidant properties thank have been shown to help lighten sun spots, reduce acne scarring, fight aging skin, and give skin a nourishing and youthful glow*
- Manuka Honey: Raw, organic local honey would work too but Manuka Honey is the best option when looking for effective and safe results. Manuka Honey is packed with antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties making it a great healing agent for our skin.* The honey comes from bees that pollinate the Manuka bush which gives it special anti-microbial properties. Honey also helps to nourish and balance the healthy bacteria living that naturally lives on our skin.
- Unsweetened Cow’s Milk: Cow’s milk contains probiotics that can help reduce discoloration due to the lactic acid that moisturizes and lightly exfoliates your skin, leaving it feeling soft and supple.*
All three of these ingredients work in perfect harmony together and we bet you already have them sitting in your pantry.
In a small bowl mix together the turmeric, yogurt, and honey.
Wash your face as you normally would before a mask and thoroughly pat dry. We recommend not wearing your favorite shirt just in case the turmeric will stain fabric. Apply with your fingers or a face mask brush over the areas you wish to brighten and be careful not to get any in your eyes. If you apply with your hands, be sure to wash your hands with warm water and soap immediately afterward.
Leave on for 15-20 minutes. We recommend doubling the benefits of this mask by helping your skin heal from the inside out with a Turmeric Latte, a delicious and beauty-boosting drink to totally pamper yourself, and help the time pass by.
Rinse the mask off with warm water. You can use a washcloth but be aware the turmeric will stain the fabric. We recommend a dark towel for this reason! If your skin is paler don’t be alarmed if your skin is slightly yellow after removing. This is natural and will fade within a few hours. We only used 1/8th of a teaspoon so there shouldn’t be any yellow hue left. If there is, you can cleanse your face with some cleansing oil or facial toner.
Other Ingredients That Work Well in Turmeric Masks
- Milk: for probiotic and a natural exfoliation
- Lemon Juice: use sparingly to brighten and for extra nourishment
- Apple Cider Vinegar: to fight acne
- Egg Yolk: to tighten pores and brighten skin
- Aloe Vera Plant Gel: natural soothing properties for dry and irritated skin
Drinks to Sip on with your DIY Turmeric Face Mask
A simple Original Beauty Turmeric Latte:
- First, combine 2 tsp of Original Beauty with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder in 1/2 hot water. Add a dash of pepper to active the turmeric and to help your body easily digest.
2. Add 1/2 cup oat milk to a tall glass with ice then pour the turmeric mix over it and enjoy it!
Iced Turmeric Matcha Latte for when you’re feeling fancy:
- Prepare frothed turmeric milk: In a tall glass, add in milk and your sweetener of choice. We used maple syrup but honey, sugar, or agave work just fine as well. Froth until foamed and creamy. Next, add in ground turmeric and cracked pepper and froth until fully combined and the milk turns a beautiful orange color. Pour into serving glass over handfuls of ice.
- Prepare matcha mixture: In another glass (or you can use the same one used for the milk) pour in water and Copina Co. Matcha Beauty. Blend with hand frother until combined. If you have time, we recommend blending the matcha in a heat-safe glass with hot water to activate the matcha and enhance its flavor. Make sure to let the mixture cool before going on to the next step if you do decide to heat your water.
Serve: Pour matcha mixture into the glass on top of turmeric milk. Add in a straw, stir, and enjoy!
Loving these recipes and beauty tips and want to see more? Sign up for our newsletter to be the first to hear of new products, sales, and to see the recipes we're cooking up in our kitchen.
Follow us on Instagram and tag us @copinaco! We want to see all your beautiful faces and see what you’re adding into your turmeric masks.